God Painted a Pretty Picture

God Painted a Pretty Picture

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Diabetes

A little boy came into the office with his dad one day.  He was about 4 years old.  Cute as can be.  He asked his dad something, his dad told him no.  So, the little guy turned to me and said, "Do you have any good candy?" His dad looked up from the paperwork he was filling out and said, "He has diabetes.  He knows that is 'bad' candy to him."

"Oh," I said.  Then I looked at the little boy and said, "No, I'm sorry, sweetie.  We don't have any 'good' candy."  He accepted the answer, then proceeded to talk about other things. 

This was the day after I went to the doctor with Heather.  I'm not going to go into details about the doctor's visit.  Let's just say I learned a few facts.  I knew a few things, but I have a LOT more to learn.

I worked closely with a diabetic for nine years.  I am working closely with one now, and have been for four years.  Someone dear to me is a diabetic.  These three are adults.  They all "follow the rules" regarding their diet.  A nicer way to put it is: they follow the dietary guidelines.

I can't imagine living with diabetes.  Especially Type 1.  Maybe if a person is diagnosed as a young child it wouldn't be as difficult because it would be "normal" for them.

But, what about being diagnosed when a teenager?  An older teenager?  Say, around 16 or 17 yrs old?  Up to that time being able to eat and drink whatever, and however much he/she wants?  Then.... BAM!!!  Being told "You have Type 1 Diabetes."  Talk about a lifestyle change.

    1.  Medicines daily - possibly several shots daily.
    2.  Monitor blood sugar - i.e. prick finger several times a day.
    3.  Major changes in eating habits.
    4.  Lots more doctor visits.
    5.  That thought "I'm a diabetic" hanging over you like a sword.
    6.  The realization, "I have to live this way forever."
    7.  The fear, "I can't have fun anymore" or "I can't have a normal life anymore".

There are severe consequences if a person refuses to take active control of their health: coma, blindness, dialysis, neuropathy, heart attacks, death.....  That is just a few.

You know kids and teenagers.  Coke and a candy bar - they are set.  (Yes, adults too!)  Or, just grab a snack - no matter what it is or what time it is.  Hanging out with friends, munch out, or it's "Woo-hoo!  Pizza!".  Carefree.  No worries.  But, not for a diabetic.

Now, I realize that the snacks, munchies, etc, are not that healthy.  If you're going to snack, it should be something healthy, like veggies or fruit, regardless of your age.  Some kids/teens do eat healthy snacks.  But even with fruit, diabetics have to be careful.  Think about it: fruit is sweet.  It has natural sugars.  They may be "complex sugars", but the bottom line is, they are "sugars".  Something to be careful with, and to monitor. 

Sugar.  Nobody should pig out on sugar.  It's not healthy regardless of who you are.  Can we say "empty calories"?  Can we say "bad for your teeth"?  What about just bad for your body altogether?  Except the taste buds.

But wait!  Sugar isn't the only thing diabetics have to be careful with.  Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, corn, etc.  These are starches, carbs.  They break down and turn into sugar.  Carbs -> starches -> sugars.  Maybe it's starches -> carbs -> sugars.  But you get the point.  It's better to eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole grain bread, etc. 

Have you considered how expensive it is eating healthy?  It is.  I know it's better to purchase the whole grains, etc.  But for those who are financially strapped, it's often not feasible. 

I understand it's not as though it's cancer, or multiple sclerosis, or ......  True.  But for someone who is just diagnosed, or who doesn't want to accept the diagnosis, or doesn't see that life goes on and can be complete and fulfilling, it's like a death knell.

Oh!  And yes!  Life DOES go on.  It can be fulfilling, successful, rich in love and happiness.  Because, life is as you make it.  Why not make it the best, and most healthy, it can be?

I AM BLESSED!!

Keep Smiling!! :)

1 comment: