God Painted a Pretty Picture

God Painted a Pretty Picture

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Temple of God

Because I drank some coffee today, I decided to write about our body as the temple of God.  You know the Scripture:  1 Corinthians 3:16-17:  "Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple."  Please forgive my ramblings, but here I go.....

Do we want the Holy Spirit to dwell in us?  Think about what can defile your body - inside and outside. 

When I think about how we defile our bodies, so many things come to mind.  Sure there are the obvious ways of alcohol, drugs, tobacco or an immoral lifestyle.  These each harm the body.
We are not supposed to tattoo our bodies.  Lev. 19:28: “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."  Am I judging those who do?  NO!  I have seen some pretty awesome tattoos!  I'm just including this issue. 
So, am I pointing fingers? Nope - not towards others.  If you see someone smoking, with a bunch of tattoos, what are you thinking?  Think about it....  You don't know the person (whether it's a male or female)...what are you thinking?  What if you can smell alcohol on them?  What if it is a female with an extremely low cut top, tattoos, smell of cigarette smoke and/or alcohol?  What are you thinking?  Are you judging them?  Do you know their heart?  Do you know their mind?  Do you know their life history?   
Our thoughts can most definitely defile us.  That is why we really need to fill our minds with Scripture, such as Phil 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." and Eph 4:23: "to be made new in the attitude of your minds."
What about the words we speak?  They can defile us.  They can make us look (and sound) dirty, cheap, and for those wanting to be Christian, un-Christ-like.  Eph. 5:1-7: "Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.  But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them."  Instead, this is what we should do, Eph. 5:19-20: "speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
I read these words and I see how I fail God time and again, and that's just with my thoughts and my words!
What about defiling the temple of God with what, or how much, we eat?  Proverbs 23:2: "and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony." 1 Cor 6:9-10: "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." ...  Food is good, but not too much food.  Think about this:  there are many diseases linked to the food we eat.  Heart disease, cancer, diabetes...just to name a few.  Get my point?
What about caffiene?  You do realize it's a drug, don't you?  Especially for me!  I don't need to do coke to get a "high".  Just give me a cup of coffee and I'm wired.  So, if I can get "high" from caffiene, why would I need to try illegal drugs?!  I definitely "crash" when the caffiene wears down.  While on that high, my brain goes 90 miles a minute.  I think I'm more creative.  I definitely talk more - and faster.  But I also make more mistakes and forget things.  It short circuits my brain.  Then there is the crash:  depression, irritability, jitters, headache, etc.  What about the toll it takes on the body?  The blood pressure going up, the heart racing, etc.  So, if it's not good for the body, wouldn't you say it DEFILES the body? 
Just some thoughts....
I AM BLESSED!!!  Keep Smiling!!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Very introspective. It's easy to judge. Much harder to think in your heart that someone could be in a situation that you don't understand.

    ReplyDelete